Pak graft official`s family doubts `suicide` theory
London: The family of National Accountability Bureau (NAB) official Kamran Faisal, who allegedly committed suicide on Friday, has called for an inquiry into his death.
Faisal, who was investigating a corruption case linked to Pakistan Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, was found hanging in his residence in Islamabad.
Faisal is said to have played a major role in the investigation of the graft case against Ashraf, reports the BBC.
According to officials, an interim post-mortem examination has suggested that Faisal had taken his own life. Faisal`s family however, has claimed that his body bore bruises. His uncle Tariq Masood said he had seen marks on Faisal`s wrists as if he had been tied, as well as marks on his back and on the neck.
Faisal`s father has now called for an independent judicial inquiry. Police have said they are investigating all possibilities, including murder. The Supreme Court ordered the arrest of PM Ashraf on Tuesday over allegations that he had accepted bribes when approving power generation projects as Minister for Water and Power in 2010.
Ashraf denies the allegations.
On Friday, one of Faisal`s associates said the official had been under considerable stress in recent weeks. He had played a major role in the Ashraf case until senior NAB officials took him and another officer off it earlier this month, the associate said.
A neighbour also said Faisal had requested a transfer from the high-profile case and had been very depressed. Faisal`s death is the latest twist in the long-running corruption case against Ashraf, which comes days after the apex court order to arrest Ashraf due to his involvement in the Rental Power Plants graft case.
The head of the NAB, Fasih Bokhari, had refused to carry out the arrest, saying there was not enough evidence to justify it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!