Pak hardline party secretly ‘fence-mending’ with US
Islamabad: Pakistan’s hardline party Jamaat-e-Islami has been secretly reaching out to some of the American diplomats as one of its key leaders met a top USA diplomat in recent days, a report has said.
According to the Daily Times, the JI, led by Munawar Hassan, is going to contest the next general elections and apart from speaking on the domestic issues, is vociferously raising the voice against USA by blaming it for the whole security situation in the region including Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Sources close to the matter revealed that JI was reaching out to the Americans secretly as one of the key leaders of JI met an American diplomat in last few days.
According to the paper, sources also expected that some JI leaders may soon be travelling to the US.
Insiders are linking it to the JI possibly trying to allay fears of Americans and perhaps also getting support in the coming elections, the paper said.
The paper said that the secret meeting of JI with Americans is not a new phenomenon in the country as Chief of JUI-F Maulana Fazalur Rehman met Anne Patterson, then US ambassador in Pakistan in 2007.
JI had good terms with USA when Pakistan, with the support of Americans, supported Afghan militants against then USSR, the paper added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists