Pak Hindu girl admitted to hospital 10 days after being raped
Islamabad: A six-year-old Hindu girl who was allegedly raped in Pakistan`s southern Sindh province has been admitted to a hospital in Karachi about 10 days after she was molested, according to media reports today.
The girl, a student of Class 1, was playing near her home in Ghulam Nabi Shah area of Umerkot district when Hashim Magiro, the owner of a gambling den, allegedly kidnapped and raped her on December 3.
Some unconfirmed reports said the girl was gang-raped.
She was brought to Karachi on Wednesday and admitted to the Lyari General Hospital.
Several civil society groups visited the girl in hospital and expressed solidarity with her family.
"We talked to the family of the girl and offered them legal aid," said Rushksana Siddiqui of War Against Rape.
The girl`s relatives said she was first taken to Umerkot district hospital, where there was no doctor on duty.
Then she was taken to Mirpurkhas, located 76 km from Umerkot, but the staff at the hospital there did not treat her properly even though her condition had deteriorated and she was bleeding profusely.
The girl`s family said she received similar treatment at yet another hospital in Hyderabad.
The incident shocked residents of Ghulam Nabi Shah and several protests were organised at the local press club.
The National Assembly or lower house of parliament yesterday asked its Standing Committee on Human Rights to probe reports of the alleged rape.
The matter was referred to the committee after it was raised in the house by ruling Pakistan People`s Party lawmaker Nawab Yousuf Talpur.
Talpur, who represents the Mirpurkhas area in parliament, said the girl had allegedly been raped and her family implicated in false cases.
Chief Whip Syed Khurshid Shah, who is also the Religious Affairs Minister, said he had asked the Sindh Police chief to investigate the incident.
There have been several reports of harassment and kidnapping of members of the minority Hindu community in Sindh and Balochistan provinces this year.
Reports have said that dozens of Hindu families had stayed on in India after travelling to the neighbouring country for pilgrimages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'