‘Pak Hindus not treated equally under law’
Islamabad: An editorial in a Pakistan daily has highlighted that Hindus are not treated equally under the country’s law and added that a bill to recognise their marriages has been stalled in Parliament for unexplained reasons.
The Express Tribune editorial said that lacunae of an appropriate law against forced conversion has made it easier for women to get abducted and forced to remarry after conversion.
It cited a recent incident in which three forced conversion victims, Rinkle Kumari, Dr Lata and Asha Kumari, chose to stay with their Muslim husbands even after being given the choice to return to their Hindu families.
“In all cases, their families and the Pakistan Hindu Council had alleged that the women had been abducted and coerced into marrying. All three women decided to stay with their husbands, although it is entirely possible that they did so out of fear after being threatened, leaving the Supreme Court with no choice but to let them go with the men,” he added.
The editorial said that it is time for citizens to choose if we want to be a tolerant, pluralistic country that can treat all its citizens equally, or if we prefer to cater to the majority, while denying the humanity of the minority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- REVEALED: 'Be progressive, not obstructionist' - Here's why Supreme Court slammed Arvind Kejriwal government
- Prakash Javadekar rewrites history! Watch video to know what he said about Netaji, Nehru and Patel
- Amit Shah inaugurates BJP state core group workshop
- Ind-Ra upticks GDP forecast to 7.8%; growth on but not speedy
- Statue of Chandra Shekhar Azad vandalised in Haryana