Pak: Hindus protest against kidnappings for ransom
Karachi: Pakistan`s minority Hindus protested
outside Balochistan provincial assembly in Quetta against
increasing incidents of abduction of community members for
ransom in the province, close on the heels of a young trader`s
murder after his family failed to pay money to his kidnappers.
The Hindus staged the protest yesterday after marching
through different parts of the city, a month after organising
similar rallies in Sindh following the killing of three Hindu
doctors in Shikarpur district there.
"We are fed up with the increasing incidents of
kidnapping for ransom of our community members and the
shameful thing is the authorities don`t cooperate or listen to
our woes," Mohan Chand, a member of the local Hindu Panchayat,
The protesters in the city, including children, carried
placards and banners inscribed with slogans demanding
protection from criminals.
The Hindus` protest in Balochistan came after the killing
of Ravi Kumar, a young trader whose bullet-riddled body was
found in Quetta after his family failed to pay the ransom
money to his abductors.
The members of the Hindu community raised slogans
against the government for its failure to protect the
Provincial Minister for Minorities Basant Lal Gulshan and
Minister for Revenue Zamurkh Khan Achakzai addressed the
protesting Hindus and tried to pacify them.
Achakzai said the law enforcing agencies were constantly
striving against the kidnapping gangs operating in Quetta and
other parts of the province.
"Police have booked many suspects and also carrying out
raids in different localities, including Saryab and
Pashtunabad areas of Quetta. Soon, the criminals will be
brought to book," he ensured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price