Pak: Hindus protest against kidnappings for ransom
Karachi: Pakistan`s minority Hindus protested
outside Balochistan provincial assembly in Quetta against
increasing incidents of abduction of community members for
ransom in the province, close on the heels of a young trader`s
murder after his family failed to pay money to his kidnappers.
The Hindus staged the protest yesterday after marching
through different parts of the city, a month after organising
similar rallies in Sindh following the killing of three Hindu
doctors in Shikarpur district there.
"We are fed up with the increasing incidents of
kidnapping for ransom of our community members and the
shameful thing is the authorities don`t cooperate or listen to
our woes," Mohan Chand, a member of the local Hindu Panchayat,
The protesters in the city, including children, carried
placards and banners inscribed with slogans demanding
protection from criminals.
The Hindus` protest in Balochistan came after the killing
of Ravi Kumar, a young trader whose bullet-riddled body was
found in Quetta after his family failed to pay the ransom
money to his abductors.
The members of the Hindu community raised slogans
against the government for its failure to protect the
Provincial Minister for Minorities Basant Lal Gulshan and
Minister for Revenue Zamurkh Khan Achakzai addressed the
protesting Hindus and tried to pacify them.
Achakzai said the law enforcing agencies were constantly
striving against the kidnapping gangs operating in Quetta and
other parts of the province.
"Police have booked many suspects and also carrying out
raids in different localities, including Saryab and
Pashtunabad areas of Quetta. Soon, the criminals will be
brought to book," he ensured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan