Pak human rights group seeks FIR against Obama
Lahore: A petition has been moved in the Lahore High Court (LHC) seeking the registration of a first information report (FIR) against US President Barack Obama and other top American officials holding them responsible for the death of hundreds of innocent civilians during drone strikes in the country.
The petition filed by Khalid Khawaja, spokesperson of the Defence of Human Rights, a Pakistani Human Rights group, urged the court to direct the federal government to submit a report on number of drone attacks conducted in the tribal areas and the number of people killed in these missile hits.
The petition also asked the court to ask the government to furnish details of the agreement, if any, between the US government and the controversial private security firm Blackwater regarding the drone strikes, The Daily Times reports.
Khawaja, in his petition, requested the LHC to ask the government officials to stop holding meetings with US diplomats, which, the petition said were aimed at ‘dictating policies’ to Islamabad and were against the country’s ‘sovereignty’ and ‘integrity.’
The petition also beseeched the court to direct the government to file a complaint in the International Court of Justice against the US to take action in accordance with international laws.
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind
- PM Modi to launch solar-powered boats in Varanasi today, visit to Ballia also on cards