Pak interim government to transfer power on June 5
Islamabad: Pakistan`s interim government will transfer power to the new government June 5, a cabinet minister said on Monday.
Information Minister Arif Nizami said that the interim government will relinquish responsibilities on the same day, reported Xinhua.
Talking to newsmen in Islamabad, Nizami said the members-elect of the National Assembly will take oath June 1.
Caretaker Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso has sent an advice to the president to summon the Assembly Saturday, the prime minister`s office said.
The elections for the speaker of National Assembly and deputy speaker will be held June 3 through secret ballot. Nizami said outgoing Speaker Dr. Fehmida Mirza will chair these sessions till the oath of the new Speaker of the House.
He said the new speaker may reschedule the further programme but most probably the elections for the Leader of the House will be held June 4.
It is for the first time that a caretaker set-up conducted free, fair and transparent elections, he said.
According to the constitution, the caretaker government is bound to summon the house up to June 2 in which newly elected members will take oath.
The house after completing this process will elect the new prime minister.
Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) which won a landslide victory in the May 11 elections has nominated Nawaz Sharif as candidate for the leader of the house while Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf has nominated Javed Hashmi for the slot.
Pakistan Peoples Party has decided to sit in the opposition. It has not yet decided to take part in the race for the leader of the house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam