Pak Islamic varsity head sacks staff for speaking
Islamabad: The Saudi Arabian head of Pakistan`s International Islamic University has stirred up a controversy by firing employees who spoke to women colleagues and taking action against an official for allegedly watching a movie on the internet.
Ahmed Yousif Al-Draiweesh, the president of the prestigious varsity, can neither speak Urdu nor English and is unable to communicate with students or members of the faculty without a battery of interpreters.
He recently issued instructions to fire a member of the Urdu faculty for delivering a lecture in Urdu but was subsequently forced to reconsider the decision.
Draiweesh`s tenure "has been marked by language problems, cultural differences and irregularities that have increased mistrust and suspicion" between the university`s management and faculty, the Dawn newspaper reported.
The president began termination proceedings against the director of the university`s finance wing, a male, because he spoke to a female employee.
Action was also taken against the director of human resources, who has been working at the varsity for 30 years, for talking to a female employee.
A hostel provost was removed after a group of students accused him of "watching a movie on the Internet", an unnamed official told the daily.
Such a matter is "a minor crime in Pakistan" and the provost should have received a warning but Draiweesh removed him as the "crime is more serious in Saudi Arabia", the official contended.
Referring to the problems under Draiweesh, an unnamed official said: "There are around 23,000 students in the university, most of whom cannot communicate with the president at all."
Faculty members too claimed they had been affected, as those who speak Arabic have "managed to get close" to Draiweesh, a position from which they can influence policy.
The state-run International Islamic University was once considered one of the world`s leading centres for the study of Islamic thought, law and history.
Nine persons were killed when two suicide bombers targeted the varsity in October 2009.
It was then widely reported that the institution was targeted because of the liberal stance of teachers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read