Pak Islamist leader warned of threats from Taliban: Report
Islamabad: Pakistan`s hardline Islamist
leader Maulana Fazlur Rehman, once considered close to radical
militants groups but now hunted by them, has been asked by the
authorities to cut down his public appearances for his own
Maulana Fazlur, the chief of Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl
(JUI-F), has been warned by the National Counter Terrorism
Authority (NACTA) of an imminent threat to his life, The
Express Tribune daily said on Friday.
Rehman had recently escaped two back-to-back attempts
on his life in his home restive province Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
Based on credible intelligence reports, the NACTA has
conveyed to Rehman that Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and
al-Qaeda might target him.
"The Interior Ministry has informed JUI-F leaders that
they might be the next target of TTP or al-Qaeda," party
leader Maulana Shujaul Mulk was quoted as saying by the
The warning was issued on account of intelligence
gathered by Saudi agencies which suggested the JUI-F might
have played a role in the elimination of some Arab militants
hiding in Pakistan.
Apparently, this led the TTP and al-Qaeda to brand him
as an enemy, the daily said.
In March, Rehman had two back-to-back attempts on his
life. The attacks surprised political observers as the JUI-F
is perceived as being pro-Taliban.
Rehman has repeatedly called on the federal government
to halt the military operations against the militants in the
restive northwestern Pakistan.
The JUI-F chief, who has recently returned from a
foreign tour, including Saudi Arabia, discussed with Saudi
King Abdullah the prevailing threats to hardline clerics who
enjoy the patronage of Gulf countries, the report said.
Meanwhile, the News International newspaper said the
number of visitors to the official residence of the Rehman has
"The JUI-F chief has never been as much careful about
his security as he has been compelled by the Taliban threat to
be," a source was quoted as saying.
"In the past, a large number of people from Khyber
Pakhtunkhwa, particularly his native Dera Ismail Khan
district, have been visiting the JUI-F chief at his official
residence but now the number of such visitors is almost nil,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack