Pak jittery after Chidambaram meets Hillary Clinton
Islamabad: Pakistan on Friday claimed it had arrested two more terrorists in connection with the 26/11 attacks, moments after Union Home Minister P Chidambaram met US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Washington to brief her about Islamabad’s inaction against perpetrators of the Mumbai carnage.
Chidambaram, who wraps up his four-day visit to the United States today, told Hillary that Pakistan simply has not taken any action against the perpetrators of 26/11, and mastermind Hafiz Saeed.
Chidambaram has also told US officials that infiltration from Pakistan has increased since May this year.
Pakistan’s Interior Minister Rehman Malik today informed about the two arrests made in regard to the 26/11 case, and said that details will be provided later.
Chidambaram’s visit to the US has apparently made Pakistan jittery, with Malik asking India to respect Pakistan’s probe into the Mumbai terror attacks.
Malik asked India to refrain from levelling allegations against Pakistan, and again asked India to provide the information on the 26/11 attacks.
Malik added that India should respect Pakistan`s judicial system, insisting Islamabad was still examining the information given by New Delhi.
Going back to his old rhetoric, the Pak minister also asked India to provide information about Samjhauta blasts.
Earlier, the US had asked Pakistan to bring the perpetrators of the 26/11 attacks to book at the earliest.
US Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia Robert Blake said that Pakistan should make concerted efforts to stop cross-border terror.
Blake’s comments are significant as they come at a time when Chidambaram met with the top brass of the Obama administration to study US counter terrorism measures that can possibly be adopted by India.
Blake said it is important for Pakistan to take some confidence building measures so that India and Pakistan can restart peace talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam