Pak journo buried; govt promises probe for ISI links
Karachi/Islamabad: Slain Pakistani
journalist Saleem Shahzad, who was tortured to death after he
wrote a report alleging that al-Qaeda had infiltrated the
Pakistan Navy was today buried in Karachi after a funeral
prayer, as the government promised to probe any ISI role in
The burial took place after his body was brought to
Karachi from Islamabad. Hundreds of mourners, including fellow
scribes attended the funeral of the slain journalist.
The 40-year-old journalist`s relatives and friends
condemned the murder and said he was a thorough professional
and an affectionate person.
Shahzad`s article had contended that al-Qaeda attacked
the naval airbase in Karachi after failed talks with the navy
to release some arrested naval personnel who had terror links.
The killing of Shahzad prompted the Pakistani Interior
Ministry to allow journalists to carry small fire-arms for
self-defence in the wake of the murder of scribe Syed Saleem
Shahzad. Interior Minister Rehman Malik also promised to probe
allegations about ISI`s involvement in his abduction.
Malik`s assurance came while speaking to the media
after visiting Shahzad`s residence in Islamabad.
Malik said Shahzad`s family was not satisfied with the
autopsy report and had demanded that a second post-mortem
examination should be conducted.
"Though another autopsy is not possible, a medical
board can be formed to carry out investigations," he said.
Shahzad had vanished in Islamabad on Sunday after his
piece on the presence of rogue elements in Pakistan Navy bases
with links to al-Qaeda appeared on the Asia Times Online.
Shahzad was found dead in Punjab province yesterday
with his body bearing marks of torture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'