Pak keen on moving ahead with 2nd round of dialogue
Islamabad: Pakistan on Thursday said it hoped that
the second round of its current dialogue process with India,
which began last year, would pave the way for a visit to
Islamabad by the External Affairs Minister in July.
The second round of the dialogue is currently underway and
the secretary-level talks on the Wullar barrage issue were
recently held in New Delhi, Foreign Office spokesman Abdul
Basit said during a weekly news briefing.
Dates are being worked out by the two sides for talks on
These talks will pave the way for a visit to Islamabad by
India`s External Affairs Minister in July to review the
dialogue process, Basit said.
Responding to a question about Prime Minister Yousuf Raza
Gilani`s interaction with his Indian counterpart Manmohan
Singh on the sidelines of a nuclear security summit in Seoul?
Basit expressed confidence that the meeting would help push
forward the negotiation process and make it result-oriented
The two leaders, during their brief interaction, had
reiterated their commitment to the resolve all outstanding
issues through dialogue, he said.
Asked about the construction of water reservoirs by India
on the Jhelum river? Basit said under India is allowed to
build dams on the run of the river under the Indus Waters
Pakistan has no objections to those water projects that
are in sync with the treaty, he added.
India and Pakistan resumed their dialogue process last
year after a gap of over two years in the aftermath of the
2008 Mumbai terror attacks, which were blamed on the
Since the parleys resumed, the two sides have taken
several steps to normalise relations, especially in trade.
Pakistan recently switched over to a negative list regime
for trade, paving the way for giving India Most Favoured
Nation-status by the beginning of next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...