Pak law officer to tour Nepal and Bhutan to perform `sewa`
Islamabad: Undeterred by criticism of his decision to perform voluntary service at shrines in India, a top Pakistani law officer on Thursday embarked on a private visit to Nepal and Bhutan to perform `sewa` at places of worship.
Deputy Attorney General Khurshad Khan, a resident of Peshawar in the country`s restive northwest, said he would visit Buddhist and Hindu shrines in Nepal and Bhutan and perform ‘sewa’.
Khan said he wants to promote the "soft image" of Pakistan by serving worshippers.
He launched his "sewa campaign" at Jogan Shah Gurdwara in Peshawar after Taliban fighters kidnapped and killed some Sikhs in the lawless tribal belt.
During a visit to India in March, Khan performed voluntary service including polishing shoes, sweeping floors and washing dishes at mosques in Delhi and Chandigarh, the Golden Temple in Amritsar and the Birla Temple in Delhi.
Khan`s campaign received extensive coverage in the Indian and Pakistani media.
However, the Supreme Court Bar Association issued a notice to Khan earlier this month to explain why action should not be taken against him for "defaming" Pakistan by polishing shoes at shrines in India.
SCBA president Yasin Azad said Khan had told the association that he had performed voluntary service to be pardoned for all his sins.
Azad contended Khan could have acted in a "more respectable way".
Khan has defended his actions, saying he was declared a state guest by the Chief Minister of India`s Punjab state and that his mission was to convey a better image of Pakistanis in general and Pashtuns in particular.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!