Pak law officer to tour Nepal and Bhutan to perform `sewa`
Islamabad: Undeterred by criticism of his decision to perform voluntary service at shrines in India, a top Pakistani law officer on Thursday embarked on a private visit to Nepal and Bhutan to perform `sewa` at places of worship.
Deputy Attorney General Khurshad Khan, a resident of Peshawar in the country`s restive northwest, said he would visit Buddhist and Hindu shrines in Nepal and Bhutan and perform ‘sewa’.
Khan said he wants to promote the "soft image" of Pakistan by serving worshippers.
He launched his "sewa campaign" at Jogan Shah Gurdwara in Peshawar after Taliban fighters kidnapped and killed some Sikhs in the lawless tribal belt.
During a visit to India in March, Khan performed voluntary service including polishing shoes, sweeping floors and washing dishes at mosques in Delhi and Chandigarh, the Golden Temple in Amritsar and the Birla Temple in Delhi.
Khan`s campaign received extensive coverage in the Indian and Pakistani media.
However, the Supreme Court Bar Association issued a notice to Khan earlier this month to explain why action should not be taken against him for "defaming" Pakistan by polishing shoes at shrines in India.
SCBA president Yasin Azad said Khan had told the association that he had performed voluntary service to be pardoned for all his sins.
Azad contended Khan could have acted in a "more respectable way".
Khan has defended his actions, saying he was declared a state guest by the Chief Minister of India`s Punjab state and that his mission was to convey a better image of Pakistanis in general and Pashtuns in particular.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah