Pak lawyers attacked anti-terror court
Islamabad: A group of lawyers attacked an
anti-terrorism court in the Pakistani garrison city of
Rawalpindi whose judge convicted and sentenced to death the
assassin of Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer, reports said
The lawyers ransacked the courtroom and broke its
windowpanes to protest the judge`s decision to give the death
sentence to Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, the police guard who
gunned down Taseer in January for criticising the country`s
The staff of two anti-terrorism courts in the complex
locked all doors to protect themselves during yesterday?s
attack. Anti-terrorism court No-II Judge Pervez Ali Shah, who
delivered the verdict against Qadri on Saturday, was present
in his court when the lawyers attacked the complex.
The lawyers forcibly entered the complex and shouted
slogans against the verdict. They demanded that the government
should immediately transfer Judge Shah.
District Bar Association president Malik Khalid Jawad
condemned the incident and told the media that a "particular
group of lawyers" was involved in attacking the court.
However, he too said the government should transfer Judge
Shah to avert any "serious incident" because the Bar
Association could not control "some emotional lawyers".
The judge had not decided Qadri`s case on merit or
considered certain sections of the law and, therefore, people
and lawyers were "becoming emotional", Jawad said.
Hardline Islamic groups have staged protests across the
country against the death sentence given to Qadri and warned
the government not to execute the verdict.
Qadri is eligible to file an appeal against the sentence,
which has to be confirmed by the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre