Pak lawyers attacked anti-terror court
Islamabad: A group of lawyers attacked an
anti-terrorism court in the Pakistani garrison city of
Rawalpindi whose judge convicted and sentenced to death the
assassin of Punjab Governor Salmaan Taseer, reports said
The lawyers ransacked the courtroom and broke its
windowpanes to protest the judge`s decision to give the death
sentence to Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, the police guard who
gunned down Taseer in January for criticising the country`s
The staff of two anti-terrorism courts in the complex
locked all doors to protect themselves during yesterday?s
attack. Anti-terrorism court No-II Judge Pervez Ali Shah, who
delivered the verdict against Qadri on Saturday, was present
in his court when the lawyers attacked the complex.
The lawyers forcibly entered the complex and shouted
slogans against the verdict. They demanded that the government
should immediately transfer Judge Shah.
District Bar Association president Malik Khalid Jawad
condemned the incident and told the media that a "particular
group of lawyers" was involved in attacking the court.
However, he too said the government should transfer Judge
Shah to avert any "serious incident" because the Bar
Association could not control "some emotional lawyers".
The judge had not decided Qadri`s case on merit or
considered certain sections of the law and, therefore, people
and lawyers were "becoming emotional", Jawad said.
Hardline Islamic groups have staged protests across the
country against the death sentence given to Qadri and warned
the government not to execute the verdict.
Qadri is eligible to file an appeal against the sentence,
which has to be confirmed by the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!