Pak legislator questions Rehman Malik`s mental health
Islamabad: A minority legislator of the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party has called for a check of Interior Minister Rehman Malik`s mental status for implying that only non-Muslims are terrorists.
Saleem Khurshid Khokhar, a Christian, moved an adjournment motion against Malik in the Sindh Assembly yesterday, The Express Tribune reported on its website.
He referred to Malik`s recent remarks in the National Assembly or lower house of parliament that terrorists had been asked to lay down their arms or declare themselves "non-Muslims".
"His speech was totally biased and against religious minorities. We condemn it and demand the government get the Interior Minister mentally checked," Khokhar told the media outside the assembly.
Khokhar said minorities had equal rights under the Constitution and the white colour in Pakistan`s flag represents religious minorities.
"The statement issued by the federal minister has created resentment among our people and we fear Malik will order police and law enforcement agencies to kill minorities," he said.
While speaking in parliament, Malik had said, "Islam has no room for violence. Innocent people are losing their lives. Those who had been killed in Quetta were also Muslims. Why are you killing your own Muslim brothers? Is this Islam? If not, why you people are not declaring yourself as non-Muslim?"
Khokhar further said this was not the first time such statements had been made by Malik and conservative lawmakers of the PPP.
"PPP (parliamentarian) Abdul Haq alias Mian Mitho had already called minorities` lawmakers agents of international agencies including RAW, Mossad and CIA," he said.
He pointed out that Malik had also ridiculed the Pope by comparing his headwear to that of cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri, who recently organised a protest against the federal government.
He said he would take up Malik`s remarks in the current session of the Sindh Assembly and ask the Speaker to adjourn all proceedings to discuss the sensitive issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'