Pak legislator questions Rehman Malik`s mental health
Islamabad: A minority legislator of the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party has called for a check of Interior Minister Rehman Malik`s mental status for implying that only non-Muslims are terrorists.
Saleem Khurshid Khokhar, a Christian, moved an adjournment motion against Malik in the Sindh Assembly yesterday, The Express Tribune reported on its website.
He referred to Malik`s recent remarks in the National Assembly or lower house of parliament that terrorists had been asked to lay down their arms or declare themselves "non-Muslims".
"His speech was totally biased and against religious minorities. We condemn it and demand the government get the Interior Minister mentally checked," Khokhar told the media outside the assembly.
Khokhar said minorities had equal rights under the Constitution and the white colour in Pakistan`s flag represents religious minorities.
"The statement issued by the federal minister has created resentment among our people and we fear Malik will order police and law enforcement agencies to kill minorities," he said.
While speaking in parliament, Malik had said, "Islam has no room for violence. Innocent people are losing their lives. Those who had been killed in Quetta were also Muslims. Why are you killing your own Muslim brothers? Is this Islam? If not, why you people are not declaring yourself as non-Muslim?"
Khokhar further said this was not the first time such statements had been made by Malik and conservative lawmakers of the PPP.
"PPP (parliamentarian) Abdul Haq alias Mian Mitho had already called minorities` lawmakers agents of international agencies including RAW, Mossad and CIA," he said.
He pointed out that Malik had also ridiculed the Pope by comparing his headwear to that of cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri, who recently organised a protest against the federal government.
He said he would take up Malik`s remarks in the current session of the Sindh Assembly and ask the Speaker to adjourn all proceedings to discuss the sensitive issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India