Pak lodges protest over drones, summons US diplomat
Islamabad: Perturbed over the recent drone attacks by the US, Pakistan has lodged strong protest with America and summoned a senior US diplomat.
Pakistani foreign ministry said, "A senior US diplomat was called to the Pakistani Ministry of Foreign Affairs and was informed that the drone strikes were unlawful, against international law and a violation of Pakistan`s sovereignty".
The country`s North Waziristan tribal region has recently witnessed a spate of US drone attacks, targeting militants near the Afghan border.
The attacks came as Pakistanis were celebrating the festival of Eid-ul-Fitr.
The diplomat, who was not identified, was told by Pakistani officials that the drone attacks violated the country’s sovereignty and were unacceptable.
Islamabad`s protest Thursday follows a string of three drone attacks in three days earlier this week in the North Waziristan tribal area.
The US has ignored Pakistan`s calls for a halt to drone strikes, which Islamabad says are counterproductive in the war on terror and spark anti-American sentiments.
But Washington insists that the attacks are the key to eliminate Al Qaeda remnants and Taliban.
The CIA says that militants are using North Waziristan as the launching pad for cross-border attacks on foreign and Afghan forces in Afghanistan.
Americans are urging Pakistan to launch a major operation against the militants in North Waziristan but Islamabad has so far been unwilling to go after the militants there.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi