Pak: Malik sees terror angle in twin factory fires
Islamabad: The possibility of sabotage cannot be ruled out in the garment factory fire in Pakistan`s port city Karachi that left at least 259 people dead, Interior Minister Rehman Malik said Sunday.
Statements from fire-fighters and injured people that said all exit gates were closed when the fire broke out has caused suspicion about the possible motives behind the incident, Xinhua reported.
Pakistan`s Parliament, opposition parties, rights and labour groups have called for a judicial inquiry into one of the worst fire incidents in the country`s history.
The Interior Minister, who visited the gutted factory Sunday, said investigators are looking at all options including the element of sabotage.
He said terrorists are bent upon destroying peace in Karachi, where political, sectarian attacks and bomb blasts have killed hundreds of people in recent months.
"Investigators will look at the intentions behind the incident and the possible involvement of people," Malik was quoted as saying.
The minister said the late arrival of fire-fighters will also be investigated.
Malik said he has also taken note that the fire-fighters had brought scarce water.
One of the factory owners, who got temporary pre-arrest bail, said fire tenders arrived nearly one-and-a-half hours late.
The Interior Minister said anyone found guilty will be severely punished.
Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, who took an aerial view of the factory Saturday, has sought an inquiry report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now