Pak: Malik`s UK nationality may remain unknown
Islamabad: Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik`s claim that he has given up his British nationality cannot be verified as the UK Home Office does not disclose data of its citizens to any person or functionary other than the concerned citizen.
According to The Nation, this fact was known after an SMS conversation with a London-based lawyer dealing with immigration and human rights cases, who said the ``Data Protection Act`` is strictly applied in the UK.
"The Data Protection Act is strictly applied in the UK. It can only be sought through an application for data access to the Home Office. I make these applications frequently, however, I need his (Rehman Malik) signature on authority letter, otherwise, the Home Office would not disclose it," the lawyer said.
During a recent visit to the UK, Malik had claimed that he had withdrawn his UK nationality in 2008 before holding public office, and if anyone had doubts could go to the UK Home Office to confirm.
Malik has so far failed to produce the nationality renunciation 1 (NR1) form before the Supreme Court of Pakistan, which certifies that he has given up his British nationality.
The Supreme Court, hearing a petition on a dual nationality issue of four legislators, rejected the documents submitted by Mali’s counsel showing that he had renounced his British nationality because the papers were not duly certified.
The court ordered the counsel to submit the NR1 form duly signed and stamped along with a receipt mentioning payment of renunciation fee as a formal evidence to prove that he had renounced his citizenship till June 04.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla