Pak: Malik`s UK nationality may remain unknown
Islamabad: Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik`s claim that he has given up his British nationality cannot be verified as the UK Home Office does not disclose data of its citizens to any person or functionary other than the concerned citizen.
According to The Nation, this fact was known after an SMS conversation with a London-based lawyer dealing with immigration and human rights cases, who said the ``Data Protection Act`` is strictly applied in the UK.
"The Data Protection Act is strictly applied in the UK. It can only be sought through an application for data access to the Home Office. I make these applications frequently, however, I need his (Rehman Malik) signature on authority letter, otherwise, the Home Office would not disclose it," the lawyer said.
During a recent visit to the UK, Malik had claimed that he had withdrawn his UK nationality in 2008 before holding public office, and if anyone had doubts could go to the UK Home Office to confirm.
Malik has so far failed to produce the nationality renunciation 1 (NR1) form before the Supreme Court of Pakistan, which certifies that he has given up his British nationality.
The Supreme Court, hearing a petition on a dual nationality issue of four legislators, rejected the documents submitted by Mali’s counsel showing that he had renounced his British nationality because the papers were not duly certified.
The court ordered the counsel to submit the NR1 form duly signed and stamped along with a receipt mentioning payment of renunciation fee as a formal evidence to prove that he had renounced his citizenship till June 04.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi