Pak militants force ban on songs, videos on cellphones
Islamabad: Traders in the restive Peshawar city of northwest Pakistan have stopped selling mobile memory cards loaded with music videos and songs after receiving threats from militants, who have described such forms of entertainment as "un-Islamic".
The management of two markets have closed shops frequented by people wanting to load songs and music and dance videos on the memory cards used in mobile phones.
The shopkeepers were "directed to pack up or change their business," according to a report in The News daily.
The militants issued a threat to shops dealing in memory cards, said a shopkeeper at Muslim Market in Peshawar Cantonment who did not want to be named.
"They were mostly dealing in transferring ringtones, songs and various kinds of videos," he said.
The shopkeeper said the owners of these shops were told by traders dealing in mobile phones to wind up their business since they were posing a threat to other shops.
The shopkeeper claimed these shops were involved in "spreading pornographic videos".
Police have stepped up patrolling in the area while the management of business plazas have made arrangements to avert any untoward incident after the threats from the militants.
Banners placed outside the main cellular phone markets in Peshawar asked customers to approach shops to purchase only cellular phones and accessories and not memory cards.
"These shops aren`t selling memory cards and USBs," read a banner outside mobile phone shops on Saddar Road.
Militants had warned mobile phone shops in Saddar, Karkhano Market, Hayatabad and in the inner part of Peshawar that they would be bombed if they did not stop selling music videos, ringtones and pornographic films loaded on memory cards.
The daily quoted a source as saying that the militants sent threatening letters and emails to dozens of shopkeepers dealing in mobile phones, ringtones, memory cards and USBs to wind up their business.
On February 21, one person was killed and several were injured when a bomb went off at a market for mobile phones at Hashtnagri in Peshawar.
Earlier, the Taliban had directed tribesmen in Waziristan to stop using cellular phones and computers, claiming they were being used to "spread vulgarity".
Hundreds of cellular phones, computers and CDs were burnt by militants in Waziristan last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi