Pak minorities find mention in Kayani`s I-day speech
Islamabad: Against the backdrop of reports about Hindus migrating to India due to forced conversions and kidnapping for ransom by criminal gangs, army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Tuesday said Pakistan was envisioned as a country where the life and property of all minorities would be safe.
In his Independence Day speech, Kayani said the purpose behind the creation of Pakistan was not only to carve out a piece of land but also to establish an Islamic welfare state where the foundation for a tolerant and modern society could be laid.
Though Kayani, who was speaking at the Azadi Parade at the Pakistan Military Academy in Kakul, made no mention of the controversy over the reported migration of Pakistani Hindus to India, the army chief said Pakistan was to be a country where the life and property of all minorities are safe and they could freely practise their faith.
Pakistan was rocked by a controversy last week over reports of dozens of Pakistani Hindu families migrating to India due to forced conversions, kidnapping for ransom and extortion demands from criminal gangs.
President Asif Ali Zardari formed a panel of three Parliamentarians to meet Hindus of Sindh to address their grievances.
Immigration authorities last week detained some 250 Hindus travelling to India at the Wagah border following reports that they intended to migrate.
The Hindus were allowed across the frontier after leaders of the minority community gave an assurance that they were going to India for a pilgrimage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof