‘Pak moving towards granting MFN status to India’
Islamabad: Pakistan is moving towards granting Most Favoured Nation-status to India "despite some hurdles" as the two countries have made significant progress in trade cooperation, President Asif Ali Zardari said on Wednesday.
Zardari referred to the importance of regional trade while addressing a dinner hosted by him at the presidency to mark the 50th anniversary of Pakistan-EU relations and said his government had designated 2012 as the "Year of Regional Trade and Economic Connectivity".
"We have made significant progress on trade and economic cooperation with India. We are moving towards the grant of MFN-status to India despite some hurdles," Zardari told the gathering that included diplomats, senior Pakistani officials and the media.
Pakistan recently switched over to a negative list regime for trade with India, paving the way for the grant of MFN-status by next year.
Commenting on the regional security situation, the President said a peaceful, stable, and prosperous Afghanistan is in Pakistan`s best interest.
Pakistan is ready to extend full cooperation to "facilitate political reconciliation in Afghanistan", he said.
Pakistan is also actively engaged with Afghanistan to develop joint cooperative projects and the bilateral Transit Trade Agreement will give impetus to regional development and stability, he said.
In his address, Lars-Gunnar Wigemark, the European Union Ambassador to Pakistan, commended Zardari for his visit to India in April and the "significant steps" taken by the Pakistani government over the past year to liberalise trade with India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs