Pak must do more to stop flow of calcium ammonium nitrate: US
Washington: Addressing the threats due to IEDs to American forces, the US has asked Pakistan to do more to stop the flow of calcium ammonium nitrate into Afghanistan.
Calcium ammonium nitrate: which is precursor of impoverished explosive devices (IEDs), is said to be responsible for the largest number of American casualties in Afghanistan.
"For us working to save the lives of our forces in Afghanistan by addressing the threats of IEDs has been and continues to be a critical priority for us in our discussions with Pakistan. We`ve been clear that Pakistan, both the government and industry, must do more to prevent the flow of calcium ammonium nitrate into Afghanistan," Patrick Ventrell, the State Department spokesperson told reporters yesterday.
Acknowledging that there has been some recent progress greater cooperation between a company in Pakistan that produces calcium ammonium nitrate and greater cooperation between the US and Pakistan in this regard, he said this is something that the US has been working on for some time.
"We`d like to see some further concrete action," Ventrell said.
"This has been a top priority for us. We`ve been clear that Pakistan must do more. We`ve seen some initial progress. It is something that`s really at the top of our agenda," he said.
As we got our working groups back up and going as our relationship got back on track, one of the top things, one of the top working groups we got going again was this IED working group. So we`ve made some progress," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened