Pak must do more to stop flow of calcium ammonium nitrate: US
Washington: Addressing the threats due to IEDs to American forces, the US has asked Pakistan to do more to stop the flow of calcium ammonium nitrate into Afghanistan.
Calcium ammonium nitrate: which is precursor of impoverished explosive devices (IEDs), is said to be responsible for the largest number of American casualties in Afghanistan.
"For us working to save the lives of our forces in Afghanistan by addressing the threats of IEDs has been and continues to be a critical priority for us in our discussions with Pakistan. We`ve been clear that Pakistan, both the government and industry, must do more to prevent the flow of calcium ammonium nitrate into Afghanistan," Patrick Ventrell, the State Department spokesperson told reporters yesterday.
Acknowledging that there has been some recent progress greater cooperation between a company in Pakistan that produces calcium ammonium nitrate and greater cooperation between the US and Pakistan in this regard, he said this is something that the US has been working on for some time.
"We`d like to see some further concrete action," Ventrell said.
"This has been a top priority for us. We`ve been clear that Pakistan must do more. We`ve seen some initial progress. It is something that`s really at the top of our agenda," he said.
As we got our working groups back up and going as our relationship got back on track, one of the top things, one of the top working groups we got going again was this IED working group. So we`ve made some progress," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice