Pak N-programme `running without any break`: AQ Khan
Islamabad: Pakistan’s nuclear programme has been “running without any break for the past 10 years” and the process of uranium enrichment is also in progress, disgraced Pakistani scientist Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan has revealed.
“Although I have not been associated with the programme for the past 10 years, I know that it has been running without any break and the process of uranium enrichment is in progress,” Dr AQ Khan told the Dawn in an interview.
The nuclear scientist said that although the concerned departments were not giving “final shape to new nuclear weapons”, the material was being prepared and could be assembled any time, if required.
Answering a question about safety of the nuclear assets, Dr Khan said neither the Taliban nor any external force could seize them because of a “highly secured system, which has been improved gradually”.
He said the county’s nuclear assets were safe from day one, and no country should be worried about them, as “we know how to protect our strength (nukes)”.
He said that nuclear weapons were not stored at one place, and that very few people knew about their location. “You can count these people on fingers who exactly know about the location of nuclear arsenals,” he said.
Most of the nuclear weapons made by the Khan Research Laboratories and other departments concerned had been handed over to the military authorities and the practice still continued.
“These weapons are lying in tunnels and safe houses where no one can access them, except very few relevant people,” Dr Khan maintained.
In reply to a question, he said former prime minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto had made the security system of the country’s nuclear programme and nuclear assets foolproof, and with the passage of time, General Ziaul Haq, Gen Mirza Aslam Beg and Gen Abdul Waheed Kakar further beefed up security around them.
“Finally the Strategic Plans Division upgraded the system, making it inaccessible to any one inside and outside the country,” he said.
In reply to another question, Dr Khan said he often moved out of his residence because he had no fear about his security. “I have faith in Allah because no one can harm me if He protects me.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- BELIEVE IT OR NOT! This cricket team was bowled out of just 3 runs – Details inside
- Govt mulls curbs on sugar sales at mill level to check prices
- iPhone 7 to be launched on September 16: Report
- Virat Kohli: The making of India's greatest Test captain
- Pacer Neil Wagner bags six wickets as New Zealand restrict Zimbabwe to 164 on Day 1