Pak National Assembly clears Contempt of Court Bill
Islamabad: The lower house of Pakistan`s Parliament on Monday approved a bill aimed at protecting top leaders from contempt of court and curbing the Supreme Court`s efforts to push the Prime Minister into reopening graft cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
Law Minister Farooq H Naek moved the Contempt of Court Bill of 2012 in the National Assembly or lower house of Parliament this evening.
It was subsequently passed after a brief debate amidst protests from the main opposition PML-N, which is opposed to the bill.
President Zardari had convened a special session of Parliament to introduce the bill.
It will also be moved in the Senate and is expected to be passed as the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party has a majority in the upper house of Parliament.
The government intends to get the bill passed by both houses before the apex court takes up the issue of reviving the corruption cases against Zardari on July 12.
The Contempt of Court Bill provides blanket immunity to top government functionaries for executive actions.
It can also be used to launch disciplinary proceedings against a judge without such a move coming under the ambit of contempt.
Senior PPP leader Raja Pervez Ashraf became the premier last month after his predecessor, Yousuf Raza Gilani, was disqualified by a Supreme Court bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry for refusing to approach Swiss authorities to reopen graft cases against Zardari.
The apex court has been pushing the PPP-led government to revive the cases against the President since December 2009, when it annulled a graft amnesty issued by former military ruler Pervez Musharraf that benefited Zardari and over 8,000 others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?