Pak national pleads guilty in US to aiding LeT militants
Washington: A young Pakistani national living
in a suburb of the US Capital has pleaded guilty to providing
material support to terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba by making a
Sialkot-born Jubair Ahmad, 24, made and uploaded the
video at the direction of his LeT handler in Pakistan, Talha
Saeed who is the son of Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, the commander of
the Pakistan based militant group, with the purpose of
propagating jihad, federal prosecutors said.
"Yes, I do plead guilty," Ahmad said before a Virginia
court late yesterday. He now faces a maximum sentence of 15
years of imprisonment, USD 250,000 in fine, three years of
supervised release and deportation to his country.
His sentencing is scheduled on April 13, 2012.
"Foreign terrorist organisations such as LeT use the
internet as part of well-orchestrated propaganda campaigns to
radicalise and recruit individuals to wage violent jihad and
to promote the spread of terror," said US Attorney Neil H
"Today`s conviction of Jubair Ahmad demonstrates that we
will aggressively investigate and prosecute anyone who
provides material support to a terrorist organisation in
whatever form it takes," he said.
"By preparing and posting a graphic video that glorified
violent extremism, Ahmad directly supported the mission of a
designated terrorist organisation," said James W McJunkin,
Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI`s Washington Field
"The FBI will track down and disrupt those who
communicate with terrorist groups for the purpose of
recruiting others to inflict harm on the US and its interests
overseas," McJunkin said.
Appearing before the court, in a dark green jumpsuit,
with prisoner written in his back, Ahmed, admitted that in
September 2010, while at his residence in Woodbridge,
Virginia, he engaged in a series of communications Talha
Saeed, in Pakistan.
Talha Saeed, Ahmad conceded before the US District Judge
T S Ellis III, requested him to prepare a video that would
contain a prayer by Hafiz Saeed calling for the support of
jihad and the mujahideen.
In addition, Talha Saeed instructed Ahmad to present a
variety of violent images on the video while Hafiz Saeed`s
prayer is heard in the background.
According to the plea document, Talha Saeed directed
Ahmad to begin the LeT video with a number of pictures of
Hafiz Saeed, then show scenes where atrocities have been
inflicted on Muslims, followed by the activities of the
`mujahideen` conducting attacks in Kashmir.
At one point, Ahmad asked Talha Saeed if he wanted to
include an image of the Mumbai attack to show the power of
This is a reference to LeT`s operation against the city
of Mumbai on November 26, 2008, which resulted in the death of
over 160 people, including six Americans.
Talha replied that he should not use anything referring
Ahmad admitted that Talha Saeed told him to search for
"Lashkar-e-Taiba" on YouTube to find additional images of
mujahideen operations to include in the video.
Talha Saeed further stated that the video will be popular
in Pakistan and will run continuously on significant media
programs and presentations.
On September 25, 2010, Ahmad completed the LeT video and
uploaded it to a YouTube account on the Internet.
The next day, Ahmad sent a communication to another
person overseas in which he explained that "Hafiz Saeed`s son
Talha Saeed" had requested him to prepare the video.
Forensic examination by the FBI subsequently confirmed
that Ahmad had constructed the LeT video on his computer,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!