Pak Navy gets Chinese-built warship
Islamabad: An F-22P frigate built for the Pakistan Navy with Chinese assistance was commissioned during a ceremony held at a naval shipyard in the southern port city of Karachi Wednesday.
Pakistan Navy chief Admiral Mohammad Asif Sandila was the chief guest at the commissioning of PNS Aslat, which was built at the Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works.
The event was also attended by senior officials from China and Pakistan, including the Chinese Ambassador and the vice president of the China State Shipbuilding Corporation.
The commissioning of PNS Aslat marked the culmination of a contract signed by Pakistan and China in 2005 for four F-22P warships.
Three of the frigates were built in China and technology was transferred for constructing the fourth warship in Karachi.
PNS Aslat is fitted with advanced weapons and sensors that make it a "highly potent platform" capable of operating in a multi-threat environment.
Its inclusion in the Pakistan Navy`s destroyer squadron will strengthen the country`s capabilities to defend its maritime frontiers, the navy said in a statement.
The construction of the fourth frigate in Pakistan had enhanced the Karachi Shipyard`s capabilities in the construction of warships, the statement said.
The construction of warships, fast attack craft, small tankers, utility ships and tugs in Karachi Shipyard reflects the government`s indigenisation policy aimed at attaining self-reliance in defence capabilities, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble