Pak Navy in process to purchase Chinese submarines
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Defence Ministry has
asked the federal cabinet to approve the purchase of conventional Chinese submarines to counter "emerging threats" that the country faces, according to a media report Wednesday.
The acquisition of the Chinese vessels will pave the
way for joint development of conventional submarines, The
Express Tribune newspaper quoted unnamed officials as saying.
The Defence Ministry informed members of the cabinet
that the Pakistan Navy is facing a "critical force imbalance"
in terms of the number of submarines and ships in its fleet.
The "capability gap is widening exponentially with
the passage of time", the report said.
In view of "urgent naval requirements", the issue of
acquiring Chinese submarines was part of the talking points
for President Asif Ali Zardari`s visit to China in 2009.
The matter was also discussed during the Chinese
premier`s visit to Pakistan in 2010, the report said.
The cabinet has been told that Naval Headquarters had
pursued the purchase of submarines with Chinese authorities.
A "mutually agreed draft protocol" is to be signed
between the Pakistan Navy and the relevant Chinese department
as a first step towards the joint development of conventional
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands