Pak Navy to acquire 30-year-old US frigate for $78 mn
Islamabad: The Pakistan Navy is set to acquire a 30-year-old Oliver Perry class frigate, USS McInerney, from the United States at a whopping cost of about USD 78 million.
The three-decade old frigate, which was put on the US Navy’s inactivation list in September last year, is likely to start its journey to the Karachi port by the end of 2010.
It is worth mentioning here that Islamabad is negotiating with Washington for five more Oliver Perry class frigates.
Sources in the Pakistan Navy said that the frigate is actually a gift from the US and will fly the Pakistani flag as cost-efficient “hot-transfer”. However, the US Defence Security Department through a notification to the Congress had clarified that the frigate along with its equipments, parts and logistical support will be worth at least USD 78 million.
USS McInerney is equipped with anti-submarine missile defence system, surface-to-surface missiles, and with helicopter deck landing facilities, The Dawn reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday