Pak Navy to acquire 30-year-old US frigate for $78 mn
Islamabad: The Pakistan Navy is set to acquire a 30-year-old Oliver Perry class frigate, USS McInerney, from the United States at a whopping cost of about USD 78 million.
The three-decade old frigate, which was put on the US Navy’s inactivation list in September last year, is likely to start its journey to the Karachi port by the end of 2010.
It is worth mentioning here that Islamabad is negotiating with Washington for five more Oliver Perry class frigates.
Sources in the Pakistan Navy said that the frigate is actually a gift from the US and will fly the Pakistani flag as cost-efficient “hot-transfer”. However, the US Defence Security Department through a notification to the Congress had clarified that the frigate along with its equipments, parts and logistical support will be worth at least USD 78 million.
USS McInerney is equipped with anti-submarine missile defence system, surface-to-surface missiles, and with helicopter deck landing facilities, The Dawn reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal