Pak NGO suspends operations after killing of its workers
Islamabad: A Pakistani NGO Wednesday suspended its operations for three days after seven workers, including six women, were shot dead in the restive northwest.
Support With Working Solution suspended its activities for three days to mourn the death of its workers in Swabi district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
After that period, the NGO will decide whether to resume its work, officials said.
The six women and a male colleague were ambushed and gunned down yesterday while they were returning home from a community centre that houses a primary school and a health centre.
The women were aged between 20 and 35 and five of them worked as teachers. The four-year-old son of one of the women watched as his mother was shot dead.
The NGO workers were buried in their hometowns today amidst tight security.
A large number of people attended the funeral prayers.
No group claimed responsibility for the shooting.
However, the incident was similar to a string of attacks on polio vaccinators and NGO workers in the northwest that have been blamed on the Pakistani Taliban.
Pakistan civil society groups, rights activists, development workers and academicians today condemned the killing of the NGO workers.
In a joint statement, the Women Action Forum, Pakistan Reproductive Health Network, National Humanitarian Network, Insani Huqooq Ittehad and other NGOs said they were deeply shocked that the victims included five women teachers and a lady health worker.
The groups said people serving the downtrodden were "identified, targeted, followed and shot dead".
They expressed solidarity with NGO workers who were "courageously continuing" their work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'