Pak NGO suspends operations after killing of its workers
Islamabad: A Pakistani NGO Wednesday suspended its operations for three days after seven workers, including six women, were shot dead in the restive northwest.
Support With Working Solution suspended its activities for three days to mourn the death of its workers in Swabi district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
After that period, the NGO will decide whether to resume its work, officials said.
The six women and a male colleague were ambushed and gunned down yesterday while they were returning home from a community centre that houses a primary school and a health centre.
The women were aged between 20 and 35 and five of them worked as teachers. The four-year-old son of one of the women watched as his mother was shot dead.
The NGO workers were buried in their hometowns today amidst tight security.
A large number of people attended the funeral prayers.
No group claimed responsibility for the shooting.
However, the incident was similar to a string of attacks on polio vaccinators and NGO workers in the northwest that have been blamed on the Pakistani Taliban.
Pakistan civil society groups, rights activists, development workers and academicians today condemned the killing of the NGO workers.
In a joint statement, the Women Action Forum, Pakistan Reproductive Health Network, National Humanitarian Network, Insani Huqooq Ittehad and other NGOs said they were deeply shocked that the victims included five women teachers and a lady health worker.
The groups said people serving the downtrodden were "identified, targeted, followed and shot dead".
They expressed solidarity with NGO workers who were "courageously continuing" their work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months