Pak not to make any decision in haste over UN report: Qureshi
Islamabad: A national criminal investigation
by Pakistan would be the next step to move forward following
the UN-appointed independent panel`s report on the
assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto, Foreign
Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said Saturday.
The report is being examined by legal experts and the
government is moving forward in accordance with laid-down
procedures and will not make any decision in haste, Qureshi
told reporters in his hometown of Multan.
President Asif Ali Zardari will announce the government`s
strategy after a thorough process of consultations and after
taking the ruling Pakistan People`s Party and its central
executive committee into confidence, he said.
The government opted for an inquiry by the UN into
Bhutto`s assassination to ensure impartiality and the
investigation conducted by the world body would have more
weight, he said.
Such a probe would also be more credible at the national
and international levels, he added.
Zardari and the Bhutto family waited patiently for the UN
panel`s report because they wanted the truth behind the
tragedy to be unveiled, Qureshi said.
The UN commission`s report has indicted the previous
regime led by President Pervez Musharraf for failing to
provide effective security to Bhutto despite numerous reports
of threats to her life.
The report also found numerous faults with the
investigation into Bhutto`s assassination by a suicide bomber
on December 27, 2007.
The former PPP chairperson was killed shortly after
addressing an election rally in the garrison city of
Her party came to power in the general election held the
following year and her widower Zardari became President
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh
- Pakistan celebrate 'incredible journey' to No.1 in Test Cricket after 7 years