Pak official confirms Hafiz Saeed link to US-banned madrassa
Washington: A Pakistani security official has confirmed the Peshawar madrassa slapped with US sanctions for being an alleged terror training centre has huge funding from Saudi Arabia and Gulf states.
The unnamed security official said that the links between the madrasa and Lashkar-e-Taiba as well as its political arm Jamaat-ud-Dawa are beyond any doubt.
He added that the ideological leader of the madrasa, Sheikh Aminullah had close links with a militant group named Shah Sahib that is fighting US troops in Afghanistan.
According to the Christian Science Monitor, both the group and Aminullah hail from the same Islamic school of thought called the Ahl al-Hadith.
Both the US and the UN have designated Aminullah as a terrorist for providing material support to Al Qaeda and the Taliban.
The unnamed official said that Aminullah is a staunch supporter of waging Jihad against the US troops in Afghanistan, which is evident from the fatwas, decrees, he has issued in favor of fighting occupant forces in Afghanistan.
The Islamic seminary has insisted it does not have any links with terror organizations, but teaches only religion and Arabic grammar, adding that the first-ever US Treasury sanctions against a madrassa will have no adverse effects.
Haji Alam Sher, administrator of the Jamia Taleem-ul Quran Wal-Sunnah, said that the institution has not received any foreign funding to run the madrassa, adding that the funds for the students in the institution were generated through a soap factory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued