Pak official says Indian ingredient led to cough syrup deaths
Lahore: Nisar Ahmad Cheema, the Director General of Health of Punjab province, told reporters that dextromethorphan - an active ingredient imported from India - was found to be responsible for the cough syrup-related deaths in Lahore and Gujranwala districts.
Twenty people, most of them drug addicts, died in Lahore in November after drinking a cough syrup named Tyno.
Another 20 people died in Gujranwala and Toba Tek Singh districts in December.
The cough syrups linked to the deaths were made with dextromethorphan, officials said.
"Samples taken from victims in Lahore show a very high concentration - 4.1 mg/ml to 7.8 mg/ml - of dextromethorphan," Cheema said.
A concentration of 3 mg/ml is considered lethal, he said.
Pakistan Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association vice-chairman Nasir Qureshi, however, described Cheema`s claim as "ridiculous", saying over 65 local and multinational pharmaceutical companies were using dextromethorphan in their cough syrups.
These medicines are available in abundance in markets across Pakistan, he said.
Qureshi said if Cheema`s claim is accepted, the cough syrups should have caused many more deaths than those reported so far.
Investigations into the deaths had revolved around the ingredient purchased by two pharmaceutical companies from India, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3