Pak officials arrest 50 terror suspects
Lahore: Pakistani law enforcement agencies have arrested 50 terror suspects, who were planning to target key installations and personalities in Punjab, during a crackdown in the eastern province where the Taliban is believed to have forged links with local militant groups.
A police official said that most of the suspects belonged to the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, a banned group linked to sectarian violence, and were working for the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan.
"Most of them were arrested from Lahore, Faisalabad, Dera Ghazi Khan and Bhakkar. They were planning to target important installations and personalities in Punjab," the official said
Punjab police chief Tariq Salim Dogar said the 50 suspects were allegedly involved in a number of terrorist acts in the province.
"Their arrest will help curb the ongoing spate of terrorism," he said.
"The suspects are currently in the custody of intelligence agencies. Once their interrogation is over, they will be handed over to police so that legal proceedings can be taken up in a court of law," he said.
Punjab witnessed several high-profile terrorist attacks during the past year, including suicide strikes of a crowded market and the provincial headquarters of the ISI in Lahore.
Scores of people lost their lives in these attacks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'