Pak on high alert ahead of Muharram
Islamabad/Karachi: Pakistan on Saturday put security forces across the country on "red alert" due to fears of terrorist attacks by the Taliban in Karachi, Lahore, Quetta and Peshawar during the Islamic holy month of Muharram.
The alert was issued on the directive of Interior Minister Rehman Malik.
Security forces had been put on red alert in the port city of Karachi, Punjab capital Lahore, Islamabad, the garrison city of Rawalpindi and Peshawar, the capital of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
Police officials said security had been stepped up across the country.
The four provincial governments had directed law enforcement agencies to remain alert to avert possible terror attacks during Muharram.
Official notifications issued by authorities in the four provinces said militants associated with the Taliban had made plans to carry out terrorist attacks in Karachi, Lahore, Quetta and Peshawar.
Since Muharram began on Wednesday, two suicide attacks targeting the minority Shia community have killed 36 people in northwest Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27