Pak Oppn leader admits wife, kids are US citizens
Islamabad: Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, Leader of the Opposition in Pakistan’s National Assembly, has admitted for the first time that his wife and children are US citizens, but criticised the Pakistani media for ‘unnecessarily playing up’ his personal matter.
The revelation about the family of the Pakistan Muslim League-N (PML-N) leader, who otherwise is perceived in political circles as one who is opposed to American policies in the region, was part of a confidential US diplomatic cable released by whistle-blower website WikiLeaks.
Visibly disturbed by media coverage of the issue, Chaudhry Nisar made serious attempts at a news conference to defend his family by stating that his wife was already holding dual nationality when he married her in late 1980s, as his in-laws were settled in the United States since 1970s, the Dawn reports.
The PML-N leader said that he was feeling pain while discussing his family matters before the media, as he always kept his family away from politics and official work.
“I am a person who wants to live a private life,” Chaudhry Nisar said, adding that he had been forced to come out with this explanation despite opposition by some of his party colleagues and friends because his “honesty and patriotism” were being questioned by some people through a malicious propaganda campaign using WikiLeaks cables.
“For me it is necessary that no one can raise finger at my self-respect and patriotism,” he said.
He went on to say that four generations of his family had worked for the country’s defence and gave blood to the motherland.
“Therefore, it had become difficult for me to remain silent,” the PML-N leader added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH