Pak oppn names three to head caretaker government
Lahore: The main opposition PML-N on Wednesday said it had shortlisted two retired judges and a senior politician from Sindh province to head the caretaker government that will supervise Pakistan`s next general election.
"After four months of consultations with all opposition parties except Imran Khan?s Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf, we have shortlisted three names - Justice Nasir Aslam Zahid, Justice Shakirullah Jan and Sindhi Awami Tehrik chief Rasool Bakhsh Palejo - for the post of caretaker Prime Minister," said Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, a senior PML-N leader.
Khan, who is Leader of Opposition in the National Assembly or lower house of parliament, told a news briefing here that the PML-N had finalised the candidates after consulting almost all opposition parties.
The PML-N has avoided direct consultations with Imran Khan?s party because of his constant criticism of PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif and his brother, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif.
"We have asked the Jamaat-e-Islami to consult Imran Khan on these three names by tomorrow," Khan said.
"We are holding discussions with the Pakistan People?s Party government on the caretaker set-up and I will write to the Prime Minister tomorrow and propose these names for the caretaker premier."
Khan said if the federal government failed to consult the PML-N on the installation of interim set-ups in Sindh and Balochistan provinces, the Punjab Chief Minister might not dissolve the provincial assembly on the same day as the National Assembly.
The National Assembly will be dissolved after it completes its term on March 16. However, the Punjab Assembly is set to complete its term on March 18.
The PPP and PML-N have reached an understanding on dissolving all the assemblies on March 16 so that polls to the national and provincial assemblies can be held on the same day.
Under the rules, the Prime Minister and the Leader of Opposition have to select the head of the caretaker government.
If they fail to achieve consensus within three days of the dissolution of the National Assembly, they will forward two names to a bipartisan parliamentary committee to decide on a name within three days.
If the committee, which will comprise four members each from the treasury and opposition benches, also fails to choose a consensus candidate, the names will be referred to the Chief Election Commissioner for a final decision within two days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks