Pak-origin girl`s parents charged with her murder
London: More than seven years after a teenage
Pakistani-origin girl was found dead, her parents were on Wednesday
charged with her murder in an apparent honour killing case.
Shafilea Ahmed`s parents, Iftikhar Ahmed, 51, and Farzana
Ahmed, 48, were arrested on September 1 on suspicion of her
murder in 2003 after new allegations were levelled against
them by the dead schoolgirl`s younger sister.
Shafilea, 17, disappeared over seven years ago after
her parents allegedly tried to arrange her marriage against
her will, British media reports said.
Her decomposed remains were found on the banks of the
River Kent in Cumbria in February 2004 by workmen and she was
identified by her jewellery and dental records.
Her parents have now been charged with murder, Cheshire
The couple were initially arrested on suspicion of
kidnapping their daughter in December 2003, but in June 2004
they were released without charge when the Crown Prosecution
Service (CPS) ruled there was insufficient evidence against
them, the BBC reported.
They were arrested again on suspicion of her murder in
2010 and released on police bail.
The CPS authorised Cheshire Constabulary to charge the
couple today, the report said.
They have always denied any involvement in their
Two post-mortem examinations failed to determine how
Shafilea died but a verdict of unlawful killing was recorded
at her inquest in 2008.
Pathologists said she was most likely strangled or
suffocated and a coroner said he believed she was probably
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India