Pak-origin girl`s parents charged with her murder
London: More than seven years after a teenage
Pakistani-origin girl was found dead, her parents were on Wednesday
charged with her murder in an apparent honour killing case.
Shafilea Ahmed`s parents, Iftikhar Ahmed, 51, and Farzana
Ahmed, 48, were arrested on September 1 on suspicion of her
murder in 2003 after new allegations were levelled against
them by the dead schoolgirl`s younger sister.
Shafilea, 17, disappeared over seven years ago after
her parents allegedly tried to arrange her marriage against
her will, British media reports said.
Her decomposed remains were found on the banks of the
River Kent in Cumbria in February 2004 by workmen and she was
identified by her jewellery and dental records.
Her parents have now been charged with murder, Cheshire
The couple were initially arrested on suspicion of
kidnapping their daughter in December 2003, but in June 2004
they were released without charge when the Crown Prosecution
Service (CPS) ruled there was insufficient evidence against
them, the BBC reported.
They were arrested again on suspicion of her murder in
2010 and released on police bail.
The CPS authorised Cheshire Constabulary to charge the
couple today, the report said.
They have always denied any involvement in their
Two post-mortem examinations failed to determine how
Shafilea died but a verdict of unlawful killing was recorded
at her inquest in 2008.
Pathologists said she was most likely strangled or
suffocated and a coroner said he believed she was probably
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra