Pak-origin US cab driver pleads not guilty to terror charges
Chicago: A Pakistani-origin taxi driver
indicted on charges of providing material support to terror
group al Qaeda and accused of having links with HuJI chief
Ilyas Kashmiri on Monday pleaded not guilty in a US court here.
Wearing an orange prison jumpsuit with his hands
shackled, 56-year-old Raja Lahrasib Khan appeared before US
Magistrate Court Judge Zagel and pleaded not guilty to the
charges of providing material support and funds to Osama bin
Laden`s terror group.
During short session, the Judge set May 5 as the date
for next hearing. Members of Khan`s family, including his son
Omar and wife Diane, as well as a few cab drivers were also
present during the hearing.
The accused will be in lock-up till then without bond.
Khan was arrested from downtown Chicago on March 26 as
he was waiting in his cab for customers.
His arrest comes five months after Chicago residents
David Headley and Tahawwur Hussain Rana were arrested by the
FBI on terror charges. Headley has since pleaded guilty to his
role in the Mumbai 26/11 attacks.
Khan, who claims to have known al Qaeda-linked HuJI
chief Ilyas Kashmiri for 15 years, is being held at the
federal lock-up Metropolitan Correctional Centre where 26/11
plotter David Coleman Headley and co-accused
Pakistani-Canadian Tahawwur Rana are also detained.
He came to the US in 1975 and became a naturalised
citizen in 1998. He has three children from his previous
marriage and has been married to an American since 1994.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata