Pak panel refuses to attend briefing at Army HQ
Islamabad: A Pakistani parliamentary panel
has spurned the army`s invite to attend a briefing at the Rawalpindi General Headquarters on the current security
situation and bilateral ties with the US, saying they would
like to uphold the tradition of holding meetings at the
The 17-member Parliamentary Committee on National Security
set aside its original agenda of discussing Pakistan-US
relations during a meeting yesterday to consider the army`s
The committee, however, refused to attend the briefing in the General Headquarters and said it would prefer to meet top army officials in Parliament House.
Senator Raza Rabbani, a senior Pakistan People`s Party
leader who heads the panel, said the members had decided not
to attend the briefing.
"We have decided to continue following the tradition of
holding meetings at the Parliament House as no one is supreme
to Parliament," Rabbani told reporters after the meeting.
The committee unanimously decided not to attend the
briefing as "it would be in violation of its traditions".
Rabbani sought to play down the issue by saying the army
and the Inter-Services Intelligence agency had always briefed
the panel when requested.
The Parliamentary Committee on National Security was one
of four panels that were invited to the General Headquarters
on Thursday for an in-camera briefing.
Three committees on defence and defence production have
accepted the invitation.
Army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani and ISI chief Lt Gen
Ahmed Shuja Pasha are expected to be among the officials who
will brief the committees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez