Pak Parl to debate review of foreign policy: Khar
Islamabad: Pakistan`s parliament will soon
debate a comprehensive review of the country`s foreign policy
and re-evaluation of the relationship with the US and NATO,
Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar said on Wednesday.
Khar informed the National Assembly or lower house of
Parliament that last month`s NATO air strike on two military
border posts, which killed 24 Pakistani soldiers, had prompted
In the wake of the NATO attack, when Pakistan`s
sovereignty was under threat, the Prime Minister directed
officials to reassess the foreign policy and a conference of
Pakistani envoys in key world capitals was convened to
deliberate the issue, she said in a written reply to a
Khar said the two-day envoys` conference discussed
different aspects of the country`s foreign policy, with
special focus on reassessing the relationship with the United
States and NATO.
The conference was aimed at charting out new avenues to
address challenges on the international scene, she said.
The envoys` conference reaffirmed that Pakistan`s foreign
relations continue to based on the principles of respect for
sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity, she said.
The recommendations made by the envoys will be presented
in parliament for further discussion, she added.
The NATO attack triggered an angry reaction in Pakistan
and the government closed all NATO supply routes and forced
the US to vacate Shamsi airbase in Balochistan province, which
was reportedly used by CIA-operated drones.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive