Pak parliamentary panel to select caretaker PM
Islamabad: The task of choosing a caretaker premier to oversee Pakistan`s general election was Tuesday entrusted to a parliamentary committee after the Prime Minister and Leader of Opposition failed to agree on a consensus candidate.
The secretariat of the National Assembly or lower house of parliament issued a notification regarding the constitution of the eight-member panel after Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf and Leader of Opposition Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan were unable to choose a caretaker premier within the stipulated three days.
The Pakistan People`s Party, which led the outgoing federal government, and the main opposition PML-N had earlier rejected each other`s candidates for the post.
Both parties conducted intense negotiations over the past few days but were unable to break an impasse, sources said.
Though the two parties had time till midnight on Tuesday to choose a caretaker premier, Leader of Opposition Khan said the matter had been sent to the parliamentary committee.
Officials said the panel is expected to hold its first meeting tomorrow afternoon. Addressing a news conference in Lahore, Khan blamed the PPP for the stalemate in appointing a caretaker premier.
He contended that even the parliamentary committee was unlikely to resolve the issue. The official notification said the National Assembly Speaker Fehmida Mirza had formed the committee for appointing the caretaker premier in line with constitutional provisions.
The eight-member panel comprises four members nominated by the PPP and its allies and four more nominated by the PML-N.
The members of the panel are Farooq Naek and Khurshid Shah of the PPP, Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain of the PML-Q, Ghulam Ahmed Bilour of the Awami National Party, and Sardar Mahtab Abbasi, Sardar Yaqoob Nasir, Pervaiz Rasheed and Khwaja Saad Rafiq of the PML-N.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'