Pak peons, gardeners told to declare dual nationality
Islamabad: Many Pakistani lawmakers, including Interior Minister Rehman Malik, recently came under fire for holding dual nationality. Now, doctors, gardeners, peons and sanitary workers have been asked to submit a declaration that they are not citizens of two nations.
In a circular, the Punjab province administration asked all government officials, including doctors, gardeners, peons and sanitary workers to submit a declaration certificate, the Dawn reported.
Though no reason was been cited in the circular, the daily said the move was meant to discourage officials from acquiring dual nationality.
Legal experts, however, said there was no logic to check the nationality of lower-grade workers like gardeners and sanitary workers.
"Only Pakistani nationals should be appointed in public service and it will stop those officers who have dual nationality. But checking peons` and gardeners` dual nationality is a strange move," Sajid Ilyas Bhatti, president of the Rawalpindi Bar Association, was quoted as saying.
"If a lower-grade government staff had dual nationality then he will have no reason to work in the country for a few rupees. So, the government should revise its notification to release the lower staff and apprehend politicians and bureaucrats," he said.
In September, Supreme Court Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry had asked the Election Commission of Pakistan to obtain fresh declarations from lawmakers regarding their dual nationality.
The Young Doctors Association Punjab condemned the "futile exercise" of checking the dual nationality of doctors and health staff, terming it was waste of time.
A Punjab government spokesman said he was unaware of the circular issued by the government, and even if such a circular was issued, it was just "a matter of routine".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state