Pak: Petition asks to restore Hindu worship places
Lahore: A petition has been filed in a Pakistani court asking it to direct the Punjab government to restore the worship places of Hindus in Lahore to their original condition.
Lawyer Javed Iqbal Jafri filed the petition in the Lahore High Court on Thursday.
He contended that protecting the rights of minorities was the constitutional duty of the government.
"Many temples in the city, including the famous Jain Mandar, have been demolished and illegally occupied by the land mafia," he said.
A good number of temples demolished in Lahore in 1992 in reaction to the demolition of the Babri Mosque in India could not be restored because of the government`s apathy, he said.
Jafri asked the court to direct the government to get all temples freed of illegal occupation by the land mafia and to restore them to their original condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says