Pak PM accords top priority to power project in Balochistan
Islamabad:Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Friday accorded top priority to completing a 6600 MW power project in the restive Balochistan province to cope with Pakistan`s crippling power crisis.
Chairing a meeting of the Gadani Power Park Steering Committee at Hub in Balochistan, Sharif said all measures should be taken to fast track the project.
Pakistan has been reeling under severe power shortage and even though the situation has improved in the recent past, the improvement is no where near the actual requirement of the country`s growing industrial and domestic sector.
Sharif, who during his election campaign had focused on power generation, evinced keen interest in the Gadani Power Park Project that will house ten power plants of 660 MW each and was estimated to cost around USD 14 billion.
The work on the project will start in March 2014 when the first power plant will be installed, Sharif was informed by officials working on it.
The rest of the plants will be installed by foreign investors on built-own-operate and transfer basis.
Sharif said China has shown interest in installing four power plants. He directed to simplify the procedures in award of projects to private companies in a transparent manner.
He said the process must be designed such that projects are awarded on fast track basis.
While referring to the way his previous government worked on the M-2 Motorway projects, Sharif said if he had not initiated the work through private sector there would have been no progress.
Sharif was also informed that the Balochistan government will provide 5000 acres of land for the power park that will be connected with a seven kilometre jetty to bring in 20 million tonnes of coal.
He directed his Finance Minister Ishaq Dar to approach the World Bank to arrange funding for the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'