Pak PM insists no clash between institutions
Karachi: Pakistan Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf has insisted there was no clash between institutions of state, though differences of opinion may exist, amid signs of strain between the Army and judiciary.
The Prime Minister made such comments for a second time in two days, clearly aimed at downplaying apprehensions expressed by some political parties and analysts after speeches made by Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani and Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry.
"There is no clash yes there can be a difference of opinion," he said at a function held Port Qasim Authority to inaugurate an automobile plant.
The Chief Justice had said in his speech on Monday that missiles and tanks never guaranteed stability and security of a country, and that Supreme Court judges were the guardians and protectors of the Constitution.
The chief justice`s statement had come after General Kayani warned against undermining of the state`s institutions and behaving as the sole arbiters of national interest.
The government too has been at loggerheads with the judiciary over the apex court`s insistence that the graft cases against President Asif Ali Zardari be reopened.
The prime minister said that everyone in the country would have to take the role of an impediment in the face of extremism.
He said Pakistani society was one that cherished its values of peace and tolerance.
The Premier also highlighted the fact that a positive message had gone out to the world with the holding of the International Defence Exhibition in Karachi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation