Pak PM Nawaz Sharif for strengthening ties with neighbours
Islamabad: Stressing the importance of a peaceful and stable neighbourhood, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Saturday said Pakistan will pursue policies that strengthen ties with neighbouring countries.
Sharif said his "primary focus was on pursuit of policies to strengthen Pakistan’s relations with neighbouring countries, advancement of national development goals and enhancement of Pakistan’s international stature".
Highlighting the "importance of a peaceful and stable neighbourhood", he stressed "Pakistan’s positive contribution to the creation of such an environment".’
Sharif made the remarks after he was given a briefing on foreign policy at the Foreign Office. The briefing focused on Pakistan’s ties with immediate neighbours and other key relationships.
The premier shared his vision and gave specific directions on dealing with key issues, an official statement said. He emphasised the imperative of promoting trade and pursuing economic diplomacy.
Sharif`s Adviser on National Security and Foreign Affairs, Sartaj Aziz, and Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs Tariq Fatemi participated in the briefing.
Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani, who briefed the premier, noted the positive international reaction to the democratic transition in Pakistan and the optimism generated since the installation of a new government for "qualitative improvement in relations with a broad range of countries".
- DNA: Development in India is non-existent when people are dying of thirst and hunger
- DNA: Millions of tonnes of grains in warehouses go to waste while people die of hunger
- DNA: Analysis of how issues of importance are given no leverage in Parliament
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease - PartII
- Goa MLA Atanasio Monserrate booked for raping minor
- Kasich dropping out of US presidential race: Report
- Indian woman wins gender discrimination case against Wipro in Britain
- Chopper deal: I blacklisted AgustaWestland, not UPA, says Arun Jaitley
- Israeli jets carry out raids on Gaza: Palestinian Ministry