Pak PM, Prez call for unity to defeat terrorism
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf used their messages on the eve of festival of Eid to urge the nation to unite against the challenges of terrorism, extremism, sectarianism and targeted killings.
Eid-ul-Adha is being celebrated in Pakistan today under tight security and the government has decided to suspend mobile phone service in some sensitive areas over threats.
The President said the country is facing the challenges of terrorism, extremism, sectarianism and target killings and there is a need to inculcate unity, brotherhood, will for sacrifice, religious tolerance, and high qualities to face these challenges.
"We should remember on this auspicious occasion of Eid-ul-Azha, the sacrifices of the people rendered in the war against terrorism to defend the country," said the President in his message yesterday.
He called upon the nation to unite for the progress and prosperity of the country by adopting the true spirit of sacrifice, brotherhood, religious tolerance and renouncing hatred and prejudice.
Prime Minister Ashraf in his message said the best way to combat the challenges posed to the nation by extremism, sectarianism and terrorism is that the masses should follow the teaching of Islam.
"We should promote the values of compassion, unity and brotherhood among ourselves and dedicate all our energies to the prosperity and well-being of the country," he said.
The Prime Minister said what the Eid day demands of the masses is that they adopt sacrifice, benevolence and brotherhood as their national character and help establish such a tolerant and harmonious society where its members are able to perform their duties in peace and tranquility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- It's Marlon Samuels vs Virat Kohli: How two batting mainstays will decide the course of West Indies-India series
- I-T dept identifies 90 lakh high-value transactions without PAN; to seek details
- Capital flows out of China slowing: Beijing
- Sensex drops 205 points, worst single-day fall in a month
- Bribery case: Fresh probe ordered against former Kerala Minister AK Babu