Pak PM ready to resign over reopening of graft cases
Lahore: Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani
on Sunday said he was prepared to resign if the issue of
approaching Swiss authorities for reopening graft cases
against President Asif Ali Zardari was resolved by his
"I will be happy if my quitting the post helps solve this
issue," Gilani said while interacting with a group of
reporters at his residence in Lahore this evening.
Gilani referred to a "third option" Resigning from the
post of premier when he was asked about the Supreme Court`s
ultimatum to reopen the cases against the President or facing
imprisonment for committing contempt of court.
"I am ready for the third option if the matter is
resolved. But after my going, a new Prime Minister will have
to face the same dilemma," he said.
Over the past few days, Gilani has said he will not write
a letter to the Swiss authorities to revive the cases against
Zardari as the President enjoys immunity from prosecution
under the Constitution.
The premier has also said he would prefer to be jailed
for contempt rather than violate the Constitution by acting on
the apex court’s orders to reopen the graft cases.
The Supreme Court has set March 21 as the deadline for
Gilani to approach the Swiss authorities.
The apex court will resume hearing a contempt case
against the premier on the same day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- China in `preliminary` deal for Sudan`s first atomic plant
- EgyptAir 804 human remains suggest blast: Forensic official
- RBI says 1/3rd of ATMS non-functional, warns of penal action
- Sachin Tendulkar biopic most awaited film of year: AR Rahman
- Rishi Kapoor 'thrilled' about 'shauchalaya' named after him