Pak PM stresses dialogue with India
Islamabad: Pakistan and India should move
forward together to resolve their outstanding issues through
dialogue as wars offer no solutions, Prime Minister Yousuf
Raza Gilani has said days ahead of Foreign Secretary-level
talks between the two countries.
It is vital for the two countries to "move forward
together towards resolving their core issues as wars are no
solution", Gilani told reporters yesterday after attending a
function at Garhi Khuda Baksh in Sindh province to mark slain
former premier Benazir Bhutto`s birth anniversary.
Gilani said Pakistan and India cannot afford war
because they are facing a number of important issues,
including poverty, unemployment and terrorism.
Dialogue, and not war, is the only solution to these
problems, he said.
He said his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh had
agreed to discuss core issues and find solutions through
"I received a letter from the Indian Prime Minister
(on Sunday) and he has expressed his willingness to initiate
dialogue in line with our earlier talks," he said.
The letter also detailed the programme of upcoming
meetings at different levels between the two countries and
expressed the hope that the meetings would lead to a wider
dialogue, Gilani said.
Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao is scheduled to hold
talks with her Pakistani counterpart Salman Bashir in
Islamabad on June 24.
Two days later, Home Minister P Chidambaram will
attend a SAARC Interior Ministers meeting in Islamabad.
Chidambaram will also hold talks with his Pakistani
counterpart Rehman Malik on the sidelines of the SAARC meet.
The Foreign Secretaries have been tasked by Prime
Ministers Gilani and Singh to find ways to bridge the trust
deficit between the two countries and to prepare the ground
for a meeting of the Foreign Ministers in Islamabad on July
Rao and Chidambaram are the first senior Indian
officials to visit Islamabad since the 2008 Mumbai attacks,
which were blamed on the Pakistan-based Lashker-e-Taiba terror
India suspended the composite dialogue process in the
wake of the attacks that killed 166 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM