Pak police arrest 46 terrorists plotting attacks on key areas
Islamabad: A total of 46 terrorists, who were
planning attacks on Pakistan`s Parliament, offices of
intelligence agencies and other key facilities, have been
arrested from across the capital city, including various
seminaries, a top police official said Tuesday.
These terrorists came to the capital from different parts
of the country and were arrested during the past six months,
Islamabad police chief Kaleem Imam told the National
Assembly`s Standing Committee on Interior.
He said they were planning attacks on Parliament, offices
of intelligence agencies, MPs, the National Defence University
and other sensitive areas.
Most of the terrorists were arrested from seminaries in
the capital, he said and called for an effective mechanism for
monitoring the activities of madrassas in Islamabad.
Referring to last week`s bid to assassinate Religious
Affairs Minister Hamid Saeed Kazmi, Imam told the committee
that the bodyguard assigned to the minister foiled the attack
by shooting back on the assailants.
The investigation into the attack is progressing in the
right direction as police have obtained some leads from
suspects they had arrested, he said.
All federal ministers will soon be provided a special
security squad for their safety, Imam told the parliamentary
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter